First Chapters: The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory (with Book Coach Rona Gofstein)
Come join Abigail and certified book coach, Rona Gofstein, as they analyze the first chapter of bestselling author Jasmine Guillory’s USA Today bestselling novel, THE WEDDING DATE.
Abigail and Rona explore many of the important elements of contemporary romance, as well as what makes this first chapter so engaging. Read the first chapter, listen to this conversation, and join Abigail and Rona as they share their craft knowledge and observations.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn:
- How the first chapter of TWD sets up expectations for the big picture, using the 7 Key First Chapter Questions from Paula Munier’s book THE WRITER’S GUIDE TO BEGINNINGS
- What makes contemporary romance a popular genre
- The difference between the hero's journey and the heroine's journey
- How an interesting POV shift, but not a scene change, works in these first pages
- What makes this a well-structured first scene
- And, more!
Email Abigail with your thoughts or share on social media and tag her. Let's continue the conversation!
THE WEDDING DATE by Jasmine Guillory (pulled from Amazon)
Agreeing to go to a wedding with a guy she gets stuck with in an elevator is something Alexa Monroe wouldn't normally do. But there's something about Drew Nichols that's too hard to resist.
On the eve of his ex's wedding festivities, Drew is minus a plus one. Until a power outage strands him with the perfect candidate for a fake girlfriend....
After Alexa and Drew have more fun than they ever thought possible, Drew has to fly back to Los Angeles and his job as a pediatric surgeon, and Alexa heads home to Berkeley, where she's the mayor's chief of staff. Too bad they can't stop thinking about the other....
They're just two high-powered professionals on a collision course toward the long distance dating disaster of the century--or closing the gap between what they think they need and what they truly want....
Find Abigail and Rona: