Inside Interview: Jeff Kinney, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and 5 Big Writing Takeaways and Assignments to Apply to Your WIP
The first episode in a new Author Interview + Writing Tips and Assignments series on LIT MATCH!
In today’s episode, Abigail pulls one of her favorite interviews from her her old podcast (pub. 2020) and revamps it for the Lit Match listeners.
Abigail sits down with the bestselling author of the DIARY OF A WIMPY KID series, Jeff Kinney. Listen to this episode to get an inside look at the makings of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, writing comics, and other valuable writing tips.
Then, join Abigail for Part II of this episode, where Abigail explores five big takeaways from Jeff’s advice. Abigail follows each takeaway with a writing assignment that she encourages every writer to apply to their WIP, or at the very least, to their writing practice.
The 5 Big Writing Takeaways Include:
- Find inspiration from real events and then fictionalize them for fiction stories
- Develop characters who are human and relatable for a general audience
- Show how a character changes from beginning to end without altering the rules of their universe
- Apply the 3-Act Structure to every story
- Create a cast of various personalities
Find Jeff: www.wimpykid.com
Find Abigail: www.abigailkperry.com